Thursday, August 26, 2010

Takers: Movie Review


I am a sucker for a good heist movie. There is just something about a film where a group of people planning out a huge robbery and then watching them execute the plan perfectly that I find really fun to watch. Most of the time these heist films that revolve around the ultimate score are filled with pretty entertaining characters on both sides of the law.  Unfortunately, Takers is not one of those movies.

Not only is the script in which a team or bank robbers decide to rob an armored car so poorly written, but it also includes a subplot about cops dealing with internal affairs that has absolutely nothing to do with the main story. 

Matt Dillon and Jay Hernandez are fine as the two detectives, but one of the most obvious flaws in the film is that two of the lead robbers are played by two of the most wooden actors working today, Paul Walker & Hayden Christensen.  These guys are just terrible actors.  I can handle Walker in the Fast & Furious films when he is with the Vin man, but when you put two horrible actors together like that it brings down the movie much further than just a lousy script.

Idris Elba and Michael Ealy fare much better as two more members of the team.  It really pains me with what I am about to say considering my personal feelings of the man. Chris Brown is the one who really stands out.  He is funny & charming, plus he gives the film it’s one great scene when he is running from the police.  It is truly a great chase scene.  I really hate having to say something positive about someone who draws such negative feelings from me.  This is one of the reasons I refuse to review any movie coming out that has Mel Gibson in it.  I never want to have to compliment that guy on anything.

Zoe Saldana also has a small part in the film as one of the criminal’s girlfriend, but if you are wondering why the Avatar star is in this film, it is probably because she filmed this way before Avatar ever came out. As for rapper T.I, we have seen him in other films like ATL and he carries that same T.I. swagger with him in this film, which comes off well. He is entertaining to watch, though not much of an actor.

Ultimately Takers is one of those films that has home video written all over it.  Their just is not much here to recommend.

By: Marc Ferman