Tuesday, February 2, 2010

B-Girl DVD Review



When I first heard about the new movie B-GIRL , It was actually something I was kinda looking forward to seeing. I have seen most of those studio dance movies like STEP UP 1 & 2, HONEY, YOU GOT SERVED, & countless others. But I knew B-GIRL was different because it was an indie film with a dope indie hip-hop soundtrack (including Ang 13, The Pacifics, Swollen Members, Penuckle, Aceyalone, Pigeon John and others ) and it was going to feature some real B-boys & B-Girls that I actually knew about in the cast. I was not expecting a great film, but I was expecting to be entertained, sadly I was not.

B-GIRL is about a girl named Angela aka Angel (Jules “Lady Jules” Urich) who grew up in Brooklyn, New York but moves to Los Angeles, California due to a major tragedy in her life. Of course like in any movie when the teenager is forced to move to another state, they are never happy about it and usually are at odds with their parents because of it. There is really nothing new here as far as plot goes. It’s really just filling while you are waiting for the dancing.

The acting in B-GIRL is really pretty awful from everyone all around. The directing is no better. I was hoping to at least be blown away by the dancing, but I just wasn’t. You have some great b-boys /girls in this film like FLIPZ, FLEAROCK, LEGACY, REMEDY, STEELO, & LADY JULES and yet, there really is nothing that I have not seen before as far as dancing goes. The final battle had some cool moves but in the end it really did not impress me. I have been attending B-Boy battles for years and I know how they go down. There should have been allot more to it.

B-GIRL really does have its heart in the right place, but when it comes down to it, even with the best intentions of showing its audience the true elements of hip-hop culture and showcasing some raw talent (music, dance, fashion) . It is just not a good movie at all.